St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church
11358 County Hwy Q
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
In the early1850's settlers from Rhine, Bohemia, and Luxembourg came to the part of Wisconsin now known as Tilde Township. They vowed to build a church in honor of the "Blessed Virgin Mother of God" giving thanks for their safe voyage to the new country.
The first priest to the settlers in Tilden was Father Migneault in 1857. The next year he was succeeded by Father Smedding, who organized St. Peter's congregation. In 1860 he laid the foundation for a new church building.
In May 1875, a new St. Peter's Church resembling a miniature Roman basilica, was built on the present site.
Parishioners decided in 1941 a new church was needed and the old structure was taken down. The present building was built and dedicated in 1942.
(Chippewa County Historial Center)